So what are some popular sites running on the Google App Engine?
I've compiled a list of what I believe are the ten most popular sites currently running on the Google App Engine. In this context the site's Alexa ranking is taken as a proxy for the site's popularity. Sure, Alexa is not a perfect indicator of popularity, but it is the best publicly available traffic data source there is.
Here is the list of the most popular site running on Google App Engine as of May 6, 2009:
- 1. www.robtex.com (Alexa rank: 1691)
- 2. www.twibes.com (Alexa rank: 13143)
- 3. www.acid-play.com (Alexa rank: 25884)
- 4. www.jaiku.com (Alexa rank: 29061)
- 5. www.wordle.net (Alexa rank: 34022)
- 6. www.twazzup.com (Alexa rank: 40910)
- 7. www.twollo.com (Alexa rank: 41414)
- 8. www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com (Alexa rank: 41718)
- 9. www.chromeexperiments.com (Alexa rank: 49899)
- 10. www.desktop-reporting.com (Alexa rank: 51447)
Jaiku.com should probably be given a special mention. While Jaiku.com appears to be running on the App Engine platform I'd guess that Jaiku is running in a server environment that is separate from the standard public GAE environment. The CNAME setup of www.jaiku.com would support that hypothesis (CNAME jaiku.l.google.com instead of the standard GAE CNAME of ^(ghs|appspot)) . Does anyone know if that is the case? Please leave a comment.
I'll update this top list from time to time as I'm certain that a significant number of high-traffic sites will be migrated to GAE over the coming months thanks to the recently added support for Java (or more specifically Java bytecode).